Red Wing Pottery (1878 - 1967)
Red Wing started as Red Wing Stoneware Company in 1878 in Red Wing, Minnesota, making utilitarian stoneware items. In 1906, after merging with several local potteries, it became Red Wing Union Stoneware Company. The 1930's catalogs offered art pottery in colors. Dinnerware was added in 1935. Many lines were hand decorated and designed by Eva Zeisel. About this time "stoneware" was dropped from the name and became known as Red Wing Potteries, Inc.
Two of the top art pottery designers were Bell Kogan (1938-1940) and Charles Murphy (1940's). There design numbers are preceded with "B" and "M" respectfully. The art pottery is highly sought after as is the stoneware. There are several books available on Red Wing Pottery.